by Emerging Voices Initiative
We are very excited to announce our Fall 2016 Workshop Tour! Members of EVI will host interactive discussions in each area church of Mennonite Church Canada between November and December.
This tour is part of our response to MC Canada’s call for more engagement during transition, after the Future Directions recommendation passed at Assembly 2016. As our own Anneli Loepp Thiessen put it, “often the best, most influential conversations happen in person.”
While only a dream at first, the tour is being made possible with financial support from MC Canada (EVI will host the workshops independently).
Anneli: We met with Willard [Metzger] and Coreena [Stewart], and Willard asked us what we would want to see happen if time and money weren’t barriers. Through the resources of donors, and Coreena’s will and wisdom, we found a structure for hosting these conversations.
Workshops will coincide with area church executive meetings. The dates, as currently scheduled (updated December 1), are:
- November 10 – Toronto, ON (Toronto United Mennonite Church)
- November 11 – Waterloo, ON (Conrad Grebel University College)
- November 12 – Leamington, ON (United Mennonite Educational Institute)
- November 26 – Saskatoon, SK (with MC Sask’s Leadership Assembly)
- November 27 – Winnipeg, MB (Canadian Mennonite University)
- December 2 – Edmonton, AB (First Mennonite Church)
- December 4 – Abbotsford, BC (Columbia Bible College)
- December 6 – Winkler, MB (Emmanuel Mennonite Church)
Note: We had previously scheduled a workshop in Calgary for December 3, which has since been canceled. More on that in this update. Sorry for the confusion!
Our workshops at MC Canada Assembly and MC Manitoba’s Annual Gathering (pictured below) both drew over 70 people, and were a lot of fun! We are grateful for new opportunities to bring people together and listen to voices across MC Canada. Please plan to attend your nearest workshop!